Monday

i scream, you scream


everyone loves ice cream. i've also always loved the combination of oranges and cream - creamsicles, orange julius, orange sherbet. i haven't had most of these in years so when i saw these beautiful blood oranges at the market, i thought ice cream would be a fun thing to make. a traditional sherbet recipe is lighter than ice cream and contains egg whites instead of yolks but this is a more traditional ice cream recipe. it stirs up memories of melty bright orange sherbet on a hot summer day, now with a little more sophisticated color and flavor.

Blood Orange Ice Cream
makes about 3 cups

2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 vanilla bean, split open
pinch of salt
2 tbs orange zest
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup blood orange juice, about 6 small oranges
in a heavy saucepan, combine milk, 1/4 cup sugar, vanilla bean, salt, and zest. bring to a boil and remove from heat. beat together egg yolks and remaining 1/4 cup sugar until pale and frothy. slowly add warm milk mixture while constantly whisky until well combined. pour mixture back into saucepan and cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until mixture coats back of a wooden spoon. remove from heat and strain through a fine mesh sieve into a metal bowl set in a larger metal bowl of ice and water. whisk to release heat and let cool about 10 minutes. stir in blood orange juice and freeze in ice cream maker. transfer to an airtight container and freeze until hard.

9 comments:

Michelle @ www.PorktoPurslane.com said...

Beautiful! Your pictures and prose continue to inspire me.

I have a bowl-full of blood oranges adorning my dining room table; I have a feeling they'll make their way into the freezer by tomorrow...

sarah said...

I am a citrus freak and I would adore this ice cream. I wonder if it works with soy milk?

alexandria said...

This looks amazingly good. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Joyce said...

I love ice cream and creamsicles. I will have to try this recipe. thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

that is SO good.

shanna said...

I just tried my first blood orange a few months ago and couldn't get over how totally gorgeous it was inside. I've been wanting to find a way to really celebrate its flavor - this could be it!

Thanks!

Josephine Tournier Ingram said...

beautiful photographs!

dame de lotus said...

thanks you for this recipe, it was delicious! ^_^
i translate it in French in my blog, refering to you. I hope you don't mind.

Unknown said...

I can remember the frustration of not being able to talk. I knew what I wanted to say, but I could
not get the words out, so I would just scream. See the link below for more info.

#scream
www.matreyastudios.com