Wednesday

jars & ginger

this ginger cardamom scone recipe is adapted from Nancy Silverton's La Brea Bakery and is a great gift with all the dry ingredients layered in a large mason jar. the scones are delicious, buttery and loaded with chunks of candied ginger! i couldn't help myself and ate two with my espresso this morning. hope you like them as much as i do! also, check us out on Fish & Veggies today - Catherine loved my mom's chili so much she wanted to share it on her beautiful blog.

Ginger Cardamom Scones

2 1/4 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tbs baking powder
1 tsp ground cardamom
4 1/2 oz candied ginger, finely chopped
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch cubes, frozen
3/4 cup heavy cream, plus extra for brushing
preheat oven to 400 degrees F. in the bowl of a food processor, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cardamom and ginger. pulse to combine. add cold butter and pulse until the mixture resembles fine meal. transfer mixture to a bowl and make a well in the center. add the cream and stir with a fork until just combined. gently knead into a ball and roll or pat the dough into a circle on a lightly floured surface about 3/4-inch thick. cut out the scones using a 3-inch round cookie cutter, gathering scraps and pressing the pieces back together until all the dough is used.
brush the tops with remaining cream and bake 14-18 minutes until the tops are lightly brown.

5 comments:

Shannon said...

I LOVE this for holiday gifts!!!

Josephine Tournier Ingram said...

what a great gift - thank you! can't wait to try it. :)

me said...

This is such a great idea for a holiday gift. This year I took the Handmade Pledge (http://www.buyhandmade.org/), and something like this would fit in with that so nicely. Cheers!

Natalie Grace said...

I love the gift idea and the recipe. I think I need more scones in my life.

raquel raney said...

solid blog.