Tuesday

northern spy


we've probably mentioned Northern Spy Food Co. a few times since moving to new york - it's a cozy spot in the east village focusing on sustainable, local, snout-to-tail cuisine, putting out creative dishes in a beautiful space and we love it! this kale salad is a favorite of ours and has gotten a lot of attention from food websites such as tasting table, who published the recipe a few months ago. just in case you haven't tasted it or seen it yet, we wanted to share this simple tasty recipe. getting ready for urban family Easter this weekend - the menu planning has begun and we'll be sure to take lots of pictures and share recipes. what will you be cooking?

Kale Salad
serves 2

2 1/2 cups shredded kale, preferably Tuscan
1/4 cup toasted almonds, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup crumbled aged cheddar
1/2 cup cubed roasted kabocha or butternut squash
juice of 1 lemon
extra virgin olive oil
pecorino, optional garnish
in a large mixing bowl, toss the kale with almonds, cheddar and squash. season to taste with lemon juice, olive oil, salt and freshly ground pepper. divide salad between two serving plates and garnish with shaved pecorino cheese if desired. enjoy!

11 comments:

Cookie baker Lynn said...

I've been wanting to try kale (my daughter's been raving about how healthy it is). This salad looks like a perfect way to give it a go.

Louise said...

Love your site and especially the pictures. You have a great eye. Always looking for new ways to have greens. Did dandelion greens over the weekend.

zuzazak said...

i have a big bunch of kale at home so will definitely try this. i have never thought of eating kale raw!

http://cheesy-mash.blogspot.com

Dana said...

This sounds great. I usually put kale in soup, but then have a bunch left over that goes to waste. No more!

Elisabeth Adele said...

yumm, that sounds perfectly delicious. definitely inspired to try it!

The French said...

This is what I'll be cooking! Yum!

Unknown said...

I am a HUGE fan of this salad at Northern Spy! So happy you wrote about it. ( and love that Orangette has a link to your blog!)

Elaine said...

Oh... I just discovered your website and love that the very first post I read had to do with kale and kobacha... two of my favourite things in the world. Can't wait to try your delicious recipe... thank you for the photos and words of inspiration!

Amanda said...

Wow I love your blog! It combines two of my favorite things, food and photography!

Amanda

LetMeEatCake Eat With Me! said...

I love this recipe! What a great way to enjoy kale, I'm always looking for new ways to eat this bitter leafy green, thanks for sharing this recipe :)

Aron said...

doesn't that place just have the best name! I think about going in each time I walk past, but haven't yet. I have a feeling I'll love it!